|Children's Therapy Unit|
The P.L.A.Y. Project®
Parents spend more time with their children than all of their teachers and therapists combined. The P.L.A.Y. Project®, a home-based intervention program designed for children ages 2 to 6 with autism, teaches skills to help children learn and grow.
As your child’s best P.L.A.Y. partner, you can provide many hours of high quality intervention throughout the day. This program will teach parents practical ways of making every interaction with their child a growing and learning experience. Bath-time, meals, outdoor play: each of these daily routines can be used to help your child with autism build meaningful relationships.
P.L.A.Y. is short for Play and Language for Autistic Youngsters. The P.L.A.Y. Project uses Home Consultants to train the parents’ or caregiver’s in their home to work with their children.
Our staff will make home visits and use video technology to give families detailed guidance about ways to implement these skills at home with their children.
Created by Richard Solomon, MD, and based on the DIR® (Developmental, Individual Differences, Relationship-based) theory of Stanley Greenspan, MD, and Serena Wieder, PhD, The P.L.A.Y. Project is a national autism training and research center, which includes training agencies, parents, and communities about the importance of early autism intervention. The P.L.A.Y. Project is operating in three countries and 27 states in the U.S. More than 300 trained home consultants serve over 1,000 children on the autism spectrum every year.
Home visits allow the Consultant to see your child in the place where he or she is most comfortable, so the Consultant can see how he/she acts most naturally. The Home Consultant will videotape segments of the home visits to monitor your child’s progress and give suggestions for more effective techniques. This allows the Home Consultant and your family to design and implement an individualized plan for your child.
The Home Consultation Program typically includes:
- Family support
- 10 visits per year
- 3-hour sessions roughly divided between 1 hour of modeling, 1 hour of coaching the family, and 1 hour of feedback
- Selected videotaping of P.L.A.Y. interactions with written evaluations and feedback
- Assistance with IFSP or IEP Goals
- Resources for families – handouts and referrals to other types of comprehensive therapies (Speech & Language, Occupational Therapy, etc.) if needed
The Home Consulting Program has a thorough program evaluation that includes:
- Periodic surveys to assess family satisfaction with consulting services
- Documentation of progress using a combination of family information, various questionnaires/assessments and video rating scales