|MultiCare Volunteer Services|
- Ways to Help
- Make a Donation
- Mary Bridge Children's Foundation
- Hospice Volunteers
- Bridges: A Center for Grieving Children
- Tree House: A Place for Families
- Good Samaritan Foundation
- MultiCare Health Foundation
- MultiCare Volunteer Services
- Celebrate Seniority
- Grannies' Attic
Attention All Applicants
Currently we are experienceing a large volume of job shadow applications. At this time expect at least 4 weeks for processing. Incomplete applications will not be processed, so please ensure you submit all necessary documents and choose dates at least one month out from the date you submit your application.
Job Shadows are offered at many of our facilities and in many different units. We are able to offer observation of nursing staff within our inpatient units at Mary Bridge, Tacoma General, Allenmore and Good Samaritan hospitals as well as at some of our outpatient clinics.
While you are visiting, you will observe nurses and technicians at work and be able to ask them questions about their job as well as their education. This is a time for observation only; to have an interactive experience with patients and families, you can apply to volunteer and learn more about the requirements on our web site.
Any physician job shadows, or shadows of any staff of ARNP or higher, must be prearranged by the observer for date and time at least 3 weeks out from the date the application is mailed. We process the paperwork for these opportunities, but do not arrange the observation. These are all limited to the 8-hour, one time per year limit.
If you are applying for an observation in Radiology, Ultrasound, CT, Cath Lab, Respiratory Therapy or OT/PT as a school requirement, please contact Karen Forman in Student Services. She can be contacted by email, firstname.lastname@example.org. You will only be placed if this is a requirement for college classes or entrance into a college program and if there is space available.
You may request placement in any area, but submission of an application is not a guarantee of placement. Departments make final decisions on the ability to provide a shadow experience, and may not be able to accommodate all requests due to staffing.
The following are the restrictions and/or requirements for shadowing:
- Must be at least 16 years of age or older
- Paperwork must be submitted at least 2 weeks in advance
- Shadows are not to exceed 8 hours per calendar year
- During flu season you are required to provide documentation of flu immunization
- The following immunizations and tests must be submitted with application and current:
- TB Skin Test - At least 2 negative tests within the last 12 months
- Proof of 2 MMR (measles, mumps, reubella) vaccinations or positive immunity results from a titer
- Proof of 2 Varicella (chicken pox) vaccinations or positive immunity results from a titer
- TDaP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis); must be within last 10 years
- Shadowing a family member is not allowed
- Packets must be complete including the statement of interest or it will not be processed
Only completed applications will be accepted and must include the following:
- Participant Guidelines
- Background Check Information
- Release & Waiver
- Confidentiality Statement
- Dates and time of availability at least 2weeks out from date of submission
- HIPAA Training/Test complete
- Photocopy of personal identification (i.e. driver’s license)
- Statement of Interest
- All necessary immunizations and/or tests as mentioned above
Please complete the information below to request a job shadow application packet. You should receive the packet in the mail within 7 business days.
If you have any questions, or do not receive a packet please contact Valerie Hollister at Valerie.Hollister@multicare.org.