Search The Blog
Media Relations Manager
Media Relations Coordinator
Health news feedBirth control requirement in health law up for appeal'Mystery' illness in Alabama mostly cold and flu, tests showH7N9 bird flu spreads much like ordinary fluPeople with higher IQs filter out useless info faster, study findsWHO warns countries not to hoard secrets of coronavirusBring back PE: Exercise should be 'core' class, report says
Did You Know? Details of the Tacoma Expansion
At 73,500 square feet, the new Mary Bridge and Tacoma General Emergency Departments and Express Care Center will be more than five times the size of our existing Emergency Departments
Opening New Doors to Your Health Care
The construction of our new five-level, 132,000-square-foot facility represents the first phase of a long-term plan to better serve our changing community.
Designed with the input of MultiCare doctors and nurses, the new Emergency Departments and an Express Care Center will be more than five times the size of the existing Emergency Departments, expanding from its current combined 13,000 square feet to 73,500 square feet.
Features of the new Emergency Departments include:
- A total of 41 "universal" exam rooms
- An Express Care Center with 32 exam rooms — including 17 for adult patients, seven for pediatric patients and two for triage
- Four triage rooms, two for children and two for adults
- A remodeled trauma suite with six large rooms that can accommodate up to 11 patient beds
- A spacious, comfortable patient and family waiting area for each Emergency Department — more than double the size of the existing shared waiting area
- Separate waiting and treatment areas for children and adults in both the Emergency Departments and the Express Care Center
- Continuous negative air flow to segregate airborne infectious diseases
- Consultation/quiet rooms for patients and families to meet privately or with physicians
- An enlarged ambulance entry with easy access to the trauma and critical care areas
- An ecumenical chapel for small services, family and patient worship or meditation
Regional Cancer Center
With the new MultiCare Regional Cancer Center, patients will have access to the region's best treatment options and the latest technologies that reduce treatment times and side effects as they improve outcomes.
"This represents Tacoma’s first comprehensive cancer center," said David Nicewonger, Cancer Careline Administrator. "[It's] a place where all of the services a patient needs will be available under one roof and coordinated under one umbrella of care."
Highlights of the new Cancer Center include:
- 40 chairs for chemotherapy — more than double the current 18
- Chemotherapy chairs set up in pods of six to encourage friendship (with private and semi-private chairs also available)
- Personal entertainment consoles at each chemotherapy chair
- Sweeping views of the Tacoma skyline and Cascade Mountains
- A greatly enlarged radiation oncology center, equipped with the latest image-guided linear accelerator, high-dose-rate brachytherapy and sterotactic radiosurgery technologies for brain and all other body sites
- A simplified referral process to coordinate family and patient needs
- Classes and programs designed for the well-being of cancer patients
- Makeup consultation and wig fitting
- A multimedia conference facility
- Centralized computing and network facilities for radiation treatment planning
Stay tuned for further updates as we approach our grand opening.
Posted on Dec 30, 2009 in