|MultiCare Volunteer Services|
Patient Contact Roles
Must be at least 16 years of age for these opportunities at all locations except Good Samaritan where you can be 15 or in the 9th grade:
- Patient and Family Care Volunteers: Visit patients and provide comfort items and activities, clean equipment, stock supplies, escort patients and provide transport for lab materials. Opportunities available in the emergency departments, inpatient units, cancer centers and pediatric short stay surgery throughout all four hospitals, Allenmore, Good Samaritan, Mary Bridge (Pediatrics Only) and Tacoma General. Scheduled times vary, but are typically offered seven days per week from 9am-1am. Some emergency departments have volunteers 24 hours per day.
- Children’s Therapy Unit (CTU) (Good Samaritan only): Clean and organize equipment and perform various clerical tasks. Scheduled times are 8-12 noon, 2-6pm with some variations for program specific volunteers, Monday through Friday.
- Entertainers: Play an instrument for patients in their room or play the piano in one of our hospital lobby areas. Scheduled times are typically during traditional visiting hours of 8am-8pm seven days per week.
- Occupational and Physical Therapy: Clean supplies, organize equipment, and perform clerical tasks. They may also provide minimal assistance with group sessions, individual therapy and provide support to siblings of patients. At Good Samaritan only volunteers assist with meal time. Scheduled shifts are typically Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm.
- Pet Therapy: Visit patients and provide pet companionship. Dogs only(DELTA certification required). Volunteers are scheduled during traditional visiting hours seven days per week.
- Infant Rocking: Hold, rock and comfort the most fragile infants in Tacoma General Hospital. Volunteers are scheduled seven days per week from 7am-midnight. Must be 21 or older to volunteer for this position.