|Sexual Assault Services|
Our mission is to provide compassionate care empowering victims of crime to pursue justice and begin recovery, to strengthen the response to crime through clinical excellence and professional collaboration, and to promote the safety and well-being of our community through education.
What Do We Do?
- Document the circumstances/narrative
- Examine the patient for injuries
- Document injuries
- Photograph injuries
- Collection of evidence
- DNA swabs
- Trace Evidence
- Prophylactic STD Medications and Emergency Contraception (given by ED unless at Tacoma General)
- Discharge instructions/resources
- Storage of evidence/chain of custody
- Court testimony
- Collect evidence in a fashion that aids in the pursuit of justice
- Care for the patient in a way that helps them begin to recover
We can not determine whether or not an assault occurred. We can determine if there is injury present. We can determine if findings are consistent with the patient history.