|Robotic Technology||Still Have Questions? Call (888) 871-7088|
Robotic Surgery Pioneers
MultiCare is a pioneer in the South Sound region when it comes to the use of robotic-assisted surgical techniques. We implemented the South Sound's first robotic-assisted prostate surgical program and gynecological surgical program in 2005. In 2008 we expanded the application of robotic-assisted surgery to cardiothoracic procedures.
One of the robotic-assisted surgery pioneers and Medical Director of MultiCare’s Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery program is John P. Lenihan, MD. Dr. Lenihan was the first gynecological surgeon in the Pacific Northwest to use robotic-assisted surgical techniques for gynecological surgeries.
Today robotic-assisted surgeries are performed at three of MultiCare's hospitals—Tacoma General, Allenmore, and Good Samaritan—and specially trained urological, gynecological and cardiothoracic surgeons certified to use the da Vinci Surgical System have performed over 1,000 procedures at MultiCare.
MultiCare has a history of firsts in the robotic-assisted surgery spectrum, making us the expert in this growing technology:
- First to perform gynecological robotic Surgery in the northwest
- First to do complex gynecological cases (difficult hysterectomies, myomectomies, pelvic floor reconstruction)
- The Only gynecological Epicenter in the State and one of only three on the West Coast. (Epicenter designation is given to only the most advanced and experienced surgeons and their hospital who have demonstrably best outcomes as well as provide training for new surgeons throughout the region. Robotic surgeons who have been trained at Epicenter sites have better initial outcomes and progress faster than non-epicenter trained robotic surgeons per Intuitive internal data.)
- First to get to 1000 robotic cases in January 2010
- First in the South Sound to get the newest robotic technology, the DaVinci Si which offers the surgeons improved vision and more precision.
- One of the first hospitals in the country to be recognized by the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists – the most prestigious international society for the advancement of gynecological minimally Invasive Surgery – as a Center of Excellence for GYN Minimally Invasive Surgery
- First hospitals in the region to focus on lowering our Abdominal Hysterectomy rate system wide which benefits patients by offering them the least invasive option for gynecological surgery at any of the MultiCare Health Systems robotically equipped hospitals