- About Us
- About MultiCare
- Community Benefit Report
- Future Growth
- Our Physicians
- Our Employees
- Patient Information
- YMCA and MultiCare
- MultiCare Consulting Services
- Contact Us
Tacoma General and the City of Tacoma:
A Shared Legacy
Tacoma population = 1,000.
Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital opens on North Starr Street in “Old Town.”
Northern Pacific finishes construction of its transcontinental railroad line to Tacoma with the completion of the Stampede Pass tunnel.
A new Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital, on South J Street, replaces the original.
Author Rudyard Kipling visits Tacoma and writes, “Tacoma was literally staggering under a boom of the boomiest.”
Washington gains statehood.
Tacoma population = 36,000.
A School of Nursing, the first in Washington State, is established at Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital.
Only five years after the discovery of the phenomenon known as X-rays, the hospital spends $600 to acquire an X-ray machine.
The Weyerhaeuser Timber Company is established in Tacoma.
The Carnegie Library, today’s Tacoma Public Library, opens on Tacoma Avenue.
Stadium High School opens.
Tacoma population = 83,700.
The name Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital changes to Tacoma General Hospital.
Brown & Haley, creators of the confection Almond Roca, opens for business.
Tacoma General Hospital completes construction of a modern hospital on South K Street (now Martin Luther King Jr Way).
U.S. Army establishes Camp Lewis.
Port of Tacoma is established.
Tacoma population = 97,000.
Tacoma General Hospital opens a new five-story wing.
Tacoma General Hospital opens the Bridge Clinic, named for Dr. Albert Bridge, specializing in pediatric care.
The first Tacoma Narrows Bridge is completed — and collapses four months later.
The Army Air Corps establishes McChord Field.
Construction is completed on a home for student nurses (later named Jackson Hall) on the Tacoma General Hospital campus.
Tacoma population = 143,700.
The second Tacoma Narrows bridge is completed.
Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital opens. It is named after the mother of Dr. Albert Bridge, whose estate provided more than $500,000 for the hospital’s construction.
The first segment of I-5 in Washington State opens in Tacoma.
Tacoma General finishes its first major expansion in 40 years.
Tacoma Mall opens.
Tacoma General Hospital’s 100,000th baby, Karen Kristine Miller, is born.
Construction is completed on the new six-story Tacoma General Hospital Patient Care Pavilion (today known as the Rainier Pavilion).
Tacoma General Hospital, Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital & Health Center, and Doctors Hospital join forces as Consolidated Hospitals.
Tacoma General Hospital initiates computerized hospital records.
Tacoma General School of Nursing, established in 1895, closes.
Tacoma General celebrates its 100th birthday.
Consolidated Hospitals becomes MultiCare Medical Center. Five years later the name is changed to MultiCare Health System.
The Tacoma Dome opens.
K Wing, today the Olympic Pavilion, opens at Tacoma General Hospital.
Mary Bridge Children's Hospital expands into K Wing at Tacoma General Hospital. Mary Bridge’s emergency room treats nearly 20,000 children, the highest-volume pediatric emergency department in Washington.
Tacoma population = 176,700.
The four-story L Wing, today called the Philip Pavilion, opens.
The Washington State History Museum opens.
Level II Tacoma Trauma Center opens (a joint venture of Tacoma General and St. Joseph Hospital).
Greater Tacoma Convention and Trade Center opens.
Mary Bridge Children’s Health Center opens.
Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup affiliates with MultiCare Health System.
Tacoma General marks its 125th year of providing medical care for the community.
A new Tacoma Narrows Bridge opens alongside the 1950 span.
Tacoma General opens the Tacoma General Heart Hospital, clustering all cardiac and vascular services in one location. The new unit, providing patients with better-connected care, is located in the Philip Pavilion (formerly L Wing), now eight stories tall after a recent addition.
Tacoma population = 198,400.
Construction is completed on the Milgard Pavilion, consisting of new emergency departments and the Regional Cancer Center.