At MultiCare Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital, our Child Life Specialists provide services throughout the entire hospital including: Emergency Department, Surgery, Inpatient Medical/Surgical, PICU, Radiology and outpatient specialty clinics. Our practicum-level students will serve 120 hours during a 10-week period.
A Practicum in Child Life Will:
- Orient students to the profession
- Familiarize students with the hospital environment
- Provide students with the opportunity to apply play and child development theories
The student will receive the opportunity to shadow Child Life Specialists during Child Life interventions. The student will also have the opportunity to plan, coordinate and facilitate weekly group activities, as well as engage patients in activities at the bedside.
- Students need to have taken at least one course in child development.
- It is required that students have had some experience working with children.
- Purchase "The Handbook of Child Life," by Richard Thompson (ISBN: 978-039807834)
Along with the Child Life Practicum Application, Please Include:
- At least one letter of recommendation
Requirements During Practicum:
- Keep a journal of experiences:
- Write one submission after each day
- Include five medical terms in each entry (10 total per week)
- Include insights from weekly reading assignments from "The Handbook of Child Life," by Richard Thompson
- Facilitate weekly group activities in the playroom
- Complete a Child Life special project
Application Deadlines: Spring: January 1st
Summer: May 1st
Fall: September 1st
*All applications must be postmarked by the stated deadline.
Please Return Completed Applications to:
Christina Becerra, CCLS & Kristen Bishop, CCLS
MultiCare Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital
Child Life Department
PO BOX 5299
Tacoma, WA 98415-0299
Feel free to contact the Child Life Specialists by phone or email. Please include both Child Life Specialists when sending an email:
Christina Becerra at 253-403-7598, or Christina.Becerra@multicare.org
Kristen Bishop at 253-403-1631, or Kristen.Bishop@multicare.org