|Take Charge of Your Child's Asthma|
Educating parents, helping kidsChildhood asthma is one of the most common chronic conditions -- and it's also one of the most treatable. With the right medications and action plan, a child with asthma can enjoy normal activities with few disruptions.
Mary Bridge Children's Health Center in Tacoma helps families take charge of asthma with its Asthma Education Program. The program provides an opportunity for children and families to learn how to cope with their asthma and increase their awareness, confidence, and self-management skills.
How does the program work?The program is aimed at parents who care for children with asthma. Children who are eight years old or older are encouraged to attend as well. Asthma Education classes are held monthly with families attending a two-hour class session.
OUR GOALS with the program ARE:
- To reduce asthma flare ups
- To avoid missed school days
- To increase use of care plan by better understanding asthma
- To partner with families and physicians
- For your child to be able to play and join in activities without coughing, wheezing or shortness of breath.
WHAT WILL you LEARN?Our Asthma Education Program covers such topics as:
- The signs and symptoms of asthma
- Identifying triggers
- Asthma medications and equipment
- Environmental irritant control measures
- Prevention and treatment of asthma flare-ups
BRING TO CLASS:
- Any equipment your child with asthma is using.
- Any medications that their child with asthma is taking.
recognize the signs of a flare-upEvery child with asthma has built-in early warning signs that signal when an asthma flare-up is about to begin. But you can learn -- and teach your child -- to spot the early signs of an asthma flare-up including:
- Coughing (with or without a cold)
- Coughing at night
- Frequent clearing of the throat
- Wheezing, however light
- Irregular breathing
- Noisy, difficult breathing
Contact the asthma education Program
Our class schedules vary. To register for a class, call the Mary Bridge Children’s Health Center Outpatient Clinic at 253-792-6630.
LocationsMary Bridge Children’s Hospital
317 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Tacoma, WA 98405
3504 12th Ave. NE
Olympia, WA 98506
1803 South Meridian, Ste. B
Puyallup, WA 98371
1780 NW Myhre Road
Harlow Medical Bldg., Ste. G220
Silverdale, WA 98383