Search The Blog
Media Relations Manager
Media Relations Coordinator
Health news feedAirlines Help Traumatized Family Members After Major DisastersAirlines Aid Traumatized Family Members After Major Disasters30 Days to a Better You: Jenna gives her workout a makeoverObamacare Supporters Beat the Bushes for Final Sign-UpsThis Woman Hasn't Washed Her Face with Soap in a YearThe Woman Who Hasn't Washed Her Face with Soap in a Year
Beware of 'button' batteries, other choking hazards for children
Battery ingestion hotline: 202-625-3333
Poison Control Center hotline:1-800-222-1222
At a time of year when many children will be playing with new toys or holiday decorations around the house, emergency department physicians warn about the choking hazard posed by tiny “button” batteries.
In the Emergency Department at Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Tacoma, Dr. Ted Walkley and Dr. Jonathan Chalett said they see a couple of cases per month of children who ingested button batteries.
The button batteries are used in musical holiday cards, small toys, remote controls and flameless candles.
“The concern is that they leak chemicals that can cause erosion, and they need to be removed immediately if they’re in the ear, nose or esophagus,” Dr. Chalett said. “If we can see that it’s in the stomach, and depending on the size, we’ll try to make it pass with a laxative.”
Dr. Chalett said that parents should bring in an identical battery from the same package, if possible, so that the doctor can look at the serial number and find the exact size of the battery that the child ingested.
Button batteries aren’t the only choking danger. Just this week, Mary Bridge Emergency Department doctors removed a “Hello, Kitty” charm from a child. Another danger is magnets, which can be especially hazardous if more than one is swallowed -- they can pinch tissue together and block a child’s digestive system.
“At this time of year, there’s more opportunity and less supervision,” said Dr. Walkley. “If it can be put in the mouth, a child will ingest it.”