|Ready, Set, Go! 5210|
Ready, Set, Go! 5210 for schools aims to increase healthy eating and physical activity in schools through promoting the 5-2-1-0 message and creating a healthier school environment.
Evergreen Elementary - Gig Harbor, WA
Listed below are 10 key strategies that can be used individually or collectively in schools to address the policies, practices, and environments that influence healthy lifestyle behaviors.
10 Strategies for Success
- Encourage healthy choices for snacks and celebrations.
- Participate in local, state, or national initiatives that promote physical activity and healthy eating.
- Include community organizations in wellness promotion.
- Involve and educate families in initiatives that promote physical activity and healthy eating.
- Encourage water and low fat milk instead of sugar-sweetened drinks.
- Discourage the use of food as a reward; use physical activity as a reward.
- Incorporate physical activity into the school day.
- Develop a 5-2-1-0 friendly staff wellness program.
- Collaborate with School Nutrition Program.
- Implement or strengthen a wellness policy that supports the 5-2-1-0 strategies.