Overview: One Call Patient Transfer Center
Currently the MultiCare Patient Transfer Center has handled over 400 transfers and direct admits per month across our system. Since opening in March, monthly volume has increased 17 percent. We have been able to reduce denied admissions due to capacity, as well as provide patients and providers with an improved experience.
Who uses MultiCare One Call Patient Transfer Center?
MultiCare One Call should be used for any patient who meets the following criteria:
- Is a preplanned or same-day direct admit into a MultiCare facility
- Is an acute inpatient transfer between MultiCare facilities
- Is an acute transfer from a non-system hospital to MultiCare
Please note that all direct admits and acute transfers to MultiCare Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital will also be managed by the Patient Transfer Center.
What Does the MultiCare One Call process include?
MultiCare One Call:
- Creates a telephone encounter and hospital chart for communication and provider access
- Creates a process that is seamless and efficient for patients, families and providers
- Ensures we are placing patients in the right bed at the right time
- Improves patient safety and satisfaction
- Reduces the number of patients being transferred out of the MultiCare system
- Attracts new referrals from physicians who currently do not refer to our hospitals
- Will include coordination of patient transport in the future
- Will include patient placement in Epic in the future
How Do I Use MultiCare One Call?
The MultiCare One Call process is summarized below:
- Transferring/admitting providers or facilities will call one of two numbers:
- MultiCare Mary Bridge One Call for pediatric patients: 855.MHS.1010 (855.647.1010)
- MultiCare One Call for adult patients: 855.MHS.3030 (855.647.3030)
- These numbers will be answered 24/7 by a dedicated RN staff.
- One Call RN discusses patient needs with sending provider/hospital to acquire all necessary information.
- RN ends call with sending provider then calls/pages relevant receiving MD. Receiving MD responds to call/page and One Call RN coordinates a conference call between sending and receiving entities for physician-to-physician handoff.
- Once a transfer decision has been made, the One Call RN confirms transfer location to sending provider/hospital, and notifies the receiving hospital that the patient is coming.
If you have questions about MultiCare One Call, please feel free to contact Alison Roberts, RN, MN, Director – MultiCare One Call Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253.792.6213. You may also contact Jim Rooks, MD, Medical Director of the One Call Center, at email@example.com.