MultiCare's hospitals, programs and services are accredited by many national health care organizations.
Hospital, Home Health and Hospice Accreditation
MultiCare Health System hospitals, Home Health, and Hospice services are accredited by the Joint Commission. This accreditation is a nationwide seal of approval indicating that we meet high performance standards related to the quality and safety of our patient care.
Health Care Services Accreditation
2013 Awards and Recognition
- MultiCare Health System is one of the "100 Integrated Health Systems To Know" by Becker's Hospital Review. This is the 11th consecutive year that MultiCare Health System has ranked in the Top 100 on the national list of integrated networks.
- For the fourth time, MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital and MultiCare Allenmore Hospital in Tacoma, Wash., both received an “A” Hospital Safety ScoreSM from The Leapfrog Group, an independent nonprofit that grades hospitals nationwide. The “A” grades were awarded in the latest update of hospital safety scores, and go to the safest hospitals in the country. In the latest rankings, MultiCare’s top rating reflects a commitment to implementing a comprehensive electronic health record, which helps ensure patients get the safest and best care possible. In May, MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital and MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup, Wash., both received an “A” Hospital Safety ScoreSM from The Leapfrog Group.
- MultiCare Tacoma General, MultiCare Allenmore and MultiCare Mary Bridge Children’s hospitals were recognized for outstanding efforts to reduce patient harm and improve patient safety during the 81st Annual Meeting of the Washington State Hospital Association (WSHA) in Seattle. The three Tacoma hospitals were the only hospitals in the South Sound to earn the 2013 “Washington State Hospital Association Safe Care in Action” award. The award honors hospitals for decreasing patient harm in 10 key areas.
- Only three hospitals in Pierce County – all of them with MultiCare Health System -- have been recognized for providing a high level of stroke care. Presented by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, the 2013 "Get With The Guidelines" awards recognize MultiCare’s commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care by ensuring that stroke patients receive treatment according to nationally accepted guidelines. MultiCare Auburn Medical Center received the 2013 "Get With The Guidelines" Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award. MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital received the stroke Gold award and MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup received the stroke Silver award. Good Samaritan also qualified for “Target: Stroke” Honor Roll status.
- For the 16th time, MultiCare Tacoma General ranks No. 1 as one of the region’s preferred choices for health care, according to the 2013-2014 Consumer Choice Award, chosen by local residents surveyed by National Research Corporation. Winning hospitals from around the United States are highlighted in the current issue of Modern Healthcare magazine.
- MultiCare Health System is one of the nation’s Most Wired health care organizations for the fifth year in a row, according to a survey released in the current issue of Hospitals & Health Networks magazine. The survey looked at the achievement in clinical quality and safety, in the continuum of care and in technology infrastructure, as well as in business and administrative management. MultiCare is one of the few health systems in the nation to have a complete electronic health record system.
- MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital and MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital were the only two hospitals in the South Sound to be recognized as “Best Hospitals” by U.S. News & World Report. Tacoma General ranks No. 5 and Good Samaritan ranks No. 11 out of 36 hospitals in the Seattle metropolitan area, which includes Seattle, Bellevue and Tacoma.
- MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital was named to Becker's Hospital Review's list of "100 Hospitals With Great Heart Programs." The Becker's editorial team selected these hospitals based on recognition for quality care, clinical awards and research contributions to cardiovascular care. MultiCare Regional Heart and Vascular Center was praised by Becker's for opening the first cardiac catheterization lab in the region, as well as being the first local hospital to use a drug-coated stent.
- The Auburn Reporter newspaper’s “Best of Auburn 2013” awards honored the hard work of MultiCare employees with the top prizes. MultiCare Auburn Medical Center was named “Best Medical Facility” and Dr. Michael Greeley was named “Best Physician.”
- Katherine Bechtold, MHA, BSN, the Senior Vice President and Chief Nurse Executive at MultiCare Health System was named one of just 20 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellows for 2013.
- Ted Walkley, MD, FAAP, FACEP, received the prestigious Nancy Auer Meritorious Achievement Award from the American College of Emergency Physicians Washington Chapter. Dr. Walkley is a physician in the Emergency Department at MultiCare Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital & Health Center in Tacoma, Wash.
- The Business Examiner's 2013 Health Care Champions honored Yolanda Duralde, MD, Medical Director of the Child Abuse Intervention Department at MultiCare Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center.
- MultiCare Health System’s Bethany Sexton Vice President of revenue cycle, and Matthew Jones, of the Foundations of MultiCare were honored among the Business Examiner newspaper's "40 Under Forty."
- MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital's Dally Tower received the prestigious Vista Award in the category for new construction. The award recognizes the importance of teamwork in creating an optimal health care environment on projects that succeed from pre-planning through construction to operation.
2012 Awards and Recognition
- MultiCare Health System is the top-ranked health care system in Washington state in a list of the most efficient and integrated networks, coming in at No. 10 on the national list of top 100 integrated health care systems. This is the fifth consecutive year that MultiCare has ranked among the top 10 in the U.S., and the 10th consecutive year in the Top 100.
- MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital, MultiCare Allenmore Hospital and MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital were honored with an “A” Hospital Safety Score by The Leapfrog Group, an independent national nonprofit run by employers and other large purchasers of health benefits. The “A” scores were awarded in the latest update of hospital safety scores and go to the safest hospitals in the country.
- MultiCare Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital & Health Center has been named one of the country’s Top Hospitals by the Leapfrog Group for providing the safest and highest quality care to pediatric patients. Mary Bridge is the only pediatric hospital in the Pacific Northwest and one of only 12 children’s hospitals in the country to receive this recognition.
- For the 15th time, MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital ranks No. 1 as the region’s preferred choice for health care. The hospital received the 2012-2013 Consumer Choice Award, as chosen by local residents surveyed by National Research Corp.
- MultiCare Health System is one of the nation’s Most Wired health care organizations for the fourth year in a row, according a survey released in Hospitals & Health Networks magazine. MultiCare is one of the few health systems in the nation to have a complete electronic health record system.
- The Dally Tower at MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital was the first inpatient hospital in Washington state to receive the Gold award for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, known as LEED.
- MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital received the 2012 "Get With The Guidelines" Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award, presented by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. The award recognizes Tacoma General Hospital’s commitment and success in providing excellent care for stroke patients, according to evidence-based guidelines.
- Heart attack patients receive a higher standard of cardiac care at MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital, according to a national award. This is the third year that MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital has been honored with the award, officially known as the “American College of Cardiology Foundation’s NCDR ACTION Registry–GWTG Platinum Performance Achievement Award.”
- MultiCare Health System was recognized for innovation in reducing infection in patients who had a C-Section at MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital and MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital. The health system implemented a group of procedures in 2007 that make the surgery safer for moms at MultiCare’s Pierce County hospitals and reduced infection by 96 percent.
- The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), a leading gastrointestinal medical society, has recognized MultiCare Health System’s gastrointestinal labs as part of its program specifically dedicated to promoting quality in endoscopy. MultiCare Health System is one of 400 endoscopy units to be granted the recognition.
- MultiCare Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital has been working hard to keep kids in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit safe from infections. That work was recognized when the Tacoma hospital received the highest rating of any pediatric hospital in Washington in a Consumer Reports story about preventing infections in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- The National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®)Oncology Research Program (ORP) has qualified seven sites from three of its member institutions (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Fox Chase Cancer Center and University of Alabama at Birmingham) as part of its Affiliate Research Project (ARP). One of those qualified sites is MultiCare Health System, an affiliate of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, under the direction of Principal Investigator John A. Keech Jr., DO, FACOI, at the MultiCare Regional Cancer Center.
- The Puyallup/Sumner Chamber of Commerce presented the 2012 Business Innovations award to MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital for the new family medicine residency training program at East Pierce Family Medicine.
- Kevin Murray, MD, was honored as the 2012 “Family Medicine Educator of the Year” by the Washington Academy of Family Physicians. Dr. Murray is Medical Vice President of Primary Care for MultiCare Health System.
- Some of the best doctors in Tacoma were honored as "Top Doctors" by U.S. News & World Report, which recognized the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation. The list included 18 physicians employed by MultiCare or affiliated with MultiCare hospitals. Additionally, Nicholas Rajacich, MD, was further distinguished as being rated in the top 1 percent of physicians in the nation. Dr. Rajacich is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon who practices at MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital and MultiCare Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center.
- The "Top Doctors" list in Seattle magazine includes 12 physicians employed by MultiCare or affiliated with MultiCare hospitals. Described by the magazine as "the best physicians in the Puget Sound region, as chosen by their peers," these "Top Docs" were selected from nearly 18,000 nominations.
- James Wyman, MD, was honored as one of South Sound magazine's "Doctors Making a Difference." Dr. Wyman is an Orthopedic Surgeon with MultiCare Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.
- Florence Chang, Executive Vice President of the MultiCare Health System, was a finalist for Best CIO of a Nonprofit/Government Agency in the Puget Sound Business Journal's CIO Awards.
- The 2012 international Telly Awards honored the MultiCare Health System video series “Ready, Set, Go! 5210,” produced by Tacoma-based Triniti Media with the MultiCare Center for Healthy Living. The video series received the Bronze Telly Award, the second highest honor, in the Health & Wellness category.
Other notable awards
- MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital’s Family Birth Center and the MultiCare Mary Bridge Pediatric Heart Center received the 2011 Warren Featherstone Reid Award for Excellence in Health Care for their pioneering work in screening newborns for heart defects.
- MultiCare Health System was awarded the 2009 HIMSS Davies Organizational Award of Excellence for our Electronic Health Record.