|Patient Rights and Responsibilities|
- Patient Guide
- Visitor Guide
- Hospital Amenities
- Maps, Directions and Parking
- Tree House: A Place for Families
- Customer Service
- Community Expansion Project
- Tacoma General Hospital School of Nursing
- Tacoma General's 130th Anniversary
MultiCare Health System (MHS) is dedicated to protecting our patients' right to privacy. Through the creation of the MHS Privacy Office, MultiCare takes a proactive approach to ensure compliance with HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) and Washington State Law.
If you have a HIPAA question or concern you may contact the Privacy Office confidentially through the HIPAA Hotline at 253-403-7475. You may also e-mail email@example.com or contact Cindy Ryals, HIPAA Privacy Consultant, directly at 253-459-7882 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patient Rights under HIPAA
- The right to receive a written MultiCare Health System Joint Notice of Privacy Practices
- The right to review and get a copy of health and billing information
- The right to ask for restrictions in the use of their health and billing information
- The right to ask that their health and billing information be amended
- The right to ask for confidential communications
- The right to an accounting of certain disclosures
- The right to choose someone to act for you
- The right to request nondisclosure to health plans for self-paid items or services
- The right to file a complaint with MHS or the US Department of Health and Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights
If you as a patient would like to exercise your right to (1) inspect and/or receive a copy of your health information, (2) request a restriction on the use of disclosure of your health information, or (3) request confidential communications, (4) request an amendment to your health information, or (5) request an accounting of disclosures, please contact the MHS Health Information Management (medical records) department at 253-403-2433 for inpatient records or 253-372-7175 for any MultiCare Clinic outpatient records.
MHS Health Information Management
P.O. Box 5299
Tacoma, WA 98415
If you as a patient would like to exercise your right to raise a privacy complaint, please contact the MHS Privacy Office at 253-403-7475
MHS Privacy Office
737 S. Fawcett Ave
Tacoma, WA 98402
If we cannot resolve your concerns, you also have the right to file a written complaint with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office for Civil Rights, 2201 6th Avenue, MS: RX-11, Seattle, WA 98121-1831, visiting www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints. The quality of your care will not be jeopardized nor will you be penalized for filing a complaint.