MultiCare Behavioral Health has a number of in-depth, non-medical internships available for students who are working toward graduate degrees in a range of mental health fields, including counseling, child and family services and chemical dependency.
- Behavioral Health Internship Tracks
MultiCare Behavioral Health's internships offer one-on-one mentoring for the duration of the internship, as well as hands-on work seeing patients in individual, family and group therapy. Additional opportunities (varies by track) include working in schools, medical and community settings. Students are trained in evidence-based practices and concurrent documentation.
We currently offer six behavioral health service tracks available for interns:
- Asian Counseling Service: Asian (Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian) as well as mainstream (English speaking) children, adults, and older adults.
- Child and Family Services: Children 2-21 years old.
- Children's Therapy Unit: Children birth to 18 years old; Typically developing children as well as children with developmental differences including autism, cognitive delay, medical complications and highly capable children.
- Community Support Services: Adults with mental illness and moderate to severe functional limitations and co-occurring disorders. Ages 18-59 years old.
- PACT: Chronically mentally ill clients; high percentage of chemical dependency struggles; over 75% of clinical contacts occur in the community (such as client apartment, shelter, inpatient unit)
- PCBHI – Primary Care Behavioral Health Integration: Primary Care Clinic. Services include counseling in an integrated team approach with providers, working with all ages, with diverse mental health issues including depression, anxiety, and trauma. (MSW intern only).
These internships vary in length, with most programs requiring a 9-12 month commitment. depending upon the internship track. Interns typically work 18-20 hours per week, generally Monday through Friday, between 8am and 6pm
Limited internship openings may also be available in other areas, such as our Older Adult Services. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Qualified candidates are accepted for internship slots through a competitive interview process. To be eligible for consideration for a slot, you must meet, at minimum, the criteria outlined below.
- Attend an accredited university
- Be seeking one of the following degrees:
- MFT (with or without AAMFT certification)
- MA/MS Counseling
- MSW (limited slots available)
- PhD/PsyD (limited slots available)
- CD certificate
- Be available for 18-20 hours of work per week during daytime working hours for the internship's duration (9-12 months)
- Chemical Dependency Internship Track
The Chemical Dependency Internship program offers one-on-one mentoring for the duration of the internship, as well as hands-on work seeing patients and overseeing sessions. CD internships generally last 9 to 12 months, with interns working 20-30 hours per week, generally Monday through Friday, between 8am and 6pm.
Qualified candidates are accepted for internship slots on a first-come, first served basis. To be eligible for consideration for a slot, you must meet, at minimum, the criteria outlined below.
- Have an active Washington State Chemical Dependency Professional Trainee certification (CDP-T)
- Have, or be seeking CD certificate
- Are currently enrolled in a certificate or degree program encompassing Substance Use Disorder
- Be available for 20-30 hours of work per week during daytime working hours for the internship's duration (9-12 months)
Note: These internships are not appropriate for students seeking their medical or physician's assistant degrees.
To start the screening process to be an intern at MultiCare Behavioral Health, download and complete our Prospective Intern Data Sheet. Then email your completed form — along with your resume and cover letter — to email@example.com.