Mental health issues are not simply something we need to accept as we get older. Whether you or your loved one need help dealing with grief or loss, or are struggling with depression or anxiety over a chronic condition, it’s important to get help.
From personalized medication management to caregiver support, MultiCare Behavioral Health's Older Adult Services can help older adults maximize their well-being and function to the best of their abilities.
Why Choose Us
With a history spanning four decades, MultiCare Behavioral Health is proud to be one of the few programs in the Pacific Northwest offering specialized outpatient mental health services for older adults.
Caring for over 500 patients monthly, we specialize in helping adults ages 60 and older overcome emotional problems, mental wellness challenges and cognitive issues associated with aging.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise: Our large team of geriatric mental health specialists delivers outpatient therapies and case management. Dedicated advanced practice registered nurses are available for consultation and medication management services while an older adult is enrolled in our therapy services.
- Integrated services: With a team of professionals who see patients in the community, we make it easy for you or your loved one to get the care you need. This includes therapists in 11 primary care locations as well as geriatric therapy specialists and advanced practice geriatric nurses. Learn more about integrated services.
- Seamless approach: We pride ourselves in actively working with each patient’s primary physician, regardless of whether they are a part of the MultiCare Health System. Together, we coordinate the medications and treatments you or your loved one receives. We also ensure a smooth transition to outpatient services for patients discharged from our Geriatric Inpatient Psychiatry Unit.
How We Help
Working closely with you or your loved one’s other physicians, we help our patients live the best possible quality of life.
Services available through Older Adult Services include:
- Case management: Planning, coordinating and advocating for the best treatments and support services, our case managers develop personalized care plans. This helps each patient reach their optimum level of wellness and functioning.
- Outpatient dementia care and support: Led by an occupational therapist with over 30 years of experience in dementia care, we offer training and home-based assistance to help caregivers learn the skills they need to manage challenging behaviors associated with dementia while also maintaining their own health and well-being. We also connect patients and their families to a broad range of support services. This program is made possible by funding from Pierce County Aging & Disability Resources.
- Peer support specialists: State certified peer specialists use their personal experience recovering from mental health conditions to instill hope and walk with you or your loved one on the path to recovery. The peer support program is one of the specialty services we offer.