CenteringParenting® brings parents of same-age infants together with health care providers to create a fun, positive group care experience.
How it Works
Each CenteringParenting visit begins with individual well-child health assessments, immunizations and developmental screenings. The provider and support staff then lead the group in discussions and activities that focus on attachment, breastfeeding, nutrition, early literacy, development and safety. In group, moms also monitor their own health goals and address key topics including stress management, nutrition and weight, and family planning.
- Better Health Outcomes – Data shows that Centering families have better attendance for their well-child visits, which leads to higher immunization rates, extended breastfeeding and additional opportunities to screen for maternal mental health.
- Self-Care and Self-Confidence – All activities, discussions and parent materials reinforce healthy choices for the entire family. Group members feel welcomed, respected and listened to, giving them greater confidence in their parenting skills.
- More Time with Providers – Each visit lasts about two hours, giving you more time with your care team, individually and with the group. Additional time with a provider creates an opportunity to screen for developmental milestones and mental health concerns.
- Community Building – As the months go by, you will get to know other parents and babies around the same age as your child. This fosters healthy family relationships, lasting friendships and community connections.
- Learning through Fun – Sharing questions and experiences, the members of the group learn and grow with each other and their facilitation team.