Who We Are
Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital, in partnership with ACHIEVE and other community organizations, launched the countywide initiative, Ready, Set, Go! 5210, on October 6, 2011, with the vision of creating healthier communities with healthier children.
Ready, Set, Go! Mission
Ready, Set, Go! is a countywide initiative to combat childhood obesity by promoting healthy lifestyle choices for children, youth and families. Modeled after a very successful community-wide program (Let’s Go! Maine), our mission is to increase physical activity and healthy eating among each of the six sectors (Schools, After School, Early Childhood, Health Care, Workplace, Community) that influence youth and families. By working across sectors we hope to achieve lifestyle and environmental changes that improve the health of children in Pierce County.
Ready, Set, Go! ultimately seeks to:
- Increase the proportion of Pierce County youth, ages 0 to 18, at a healthy weight.
- Change policy and environments to support healthy eating and active living. Evaluate the interventions to make mid-course improvements and learn from experiences.
- Create a model that can be replicated in other parts of Washington State.
- Assure sustainability of results.
The Call to Action
The need to promote healthy eating and physical activity among youth has intensified due to the growing national epidemic of obesity.
- Childhood obesity has more than doubled over the past three decades to become the number one health concern for children, affecting one in three nationally.
- The patterns of overweight children and youth in Pierce County mirror those of the state and nation, which have more than doubled in the last three decades.
- Significant disparities exist among the obesity rates of children based on ethnicity and economic status.
- Type 2 diabetes has risen by 33 percent in children between the ages of 6 and 11.
- Obese young people have an 80 percent chance of being obese adults and are more likely than children of normal weight to become overweight or obese adults. These children are more at risk for associated adult health problems, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, stroke, several types of cancer and osteoarthritis.
*The Ready, Set, Go! 5210 program is adapted from the Let's Go! program in Portland, Maine. Visit www.letsgo.org for additional resources.