MultiCare Health System's roots date to the founding of Tacoma's first hospital in 1882. While medical techniques have evolved over the years, our staff members continue to serve our founding mission of providing quality health care to members of our community.
This timeline highlights some of the significant events in MultiCare's history:
1882 Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital is dedicated on April 29, 1882, at 2511 N. Starr St. in Tacoma, Washington Territory. The hospital is established by Bishop John A. Paddock in honor of his wife, Fannie, who had died exactly one year earlier while the family made the trip from New York to provide health care in the West. The Rev E. F. Miles, MD, is the hospital's first resident physician and chaplain.
1889 As Tacoma's population grows, a new Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital opens at 312 S. J St. on a plot of land donated by the Tacoma Land Co., which also donated land for the nearby Wright Park.
1895 The first nursing school in Washington state is established at Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital.
1897 Washington state's first graduating class of nurses, including one man, graduates from Fannie C. Paddock Memorial Hospital.
1912 The name of Fannie C. Paddock Hospital is changed to Tacoma General Hospital in an attempt to help the community identify with the hospital. The hospital makes plans for an extensive addition.
1915 Tacoma General Hospital completes construction at 315 S. K St. (now Martin Luther King Jr. Way), at a cost of $275,000.
1921 Tacoma Orthopedic Association is formed by Gertrude E.V. Baker to raise funds to provide medical care for children. This vision eventually grows into a community effort to build a children's hospital.
1922 Puyallup Valley Hospital opens.
1925-26 Tacoma General Hospital adds new five-story wing.
1929 Washington Minor Hospital opens in the Washington Building on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma.
1929 Puyallup Valley Hospital becomes Puyallup General Hospital.
1930 Washington Minor Hospital moves into the Medical Arts Building in December in Tacoma.
1938 Lutheran Home for the Aged opens in Puyallup with 49 elderly residents.
1945 Construction begins on a home for nurses (later named Jackson Hall) on the Tacoma General Hospital campus.
1946 Doctors Hospital opens in Tacoma.
1949 Dr. Albert W. Bridge, a pioneer physician who practiced in Eatonville and Tacoma, leaves an estate in excess of $500,000. The bulk of the estate was left to the Mary Bridge Hospital, a charitable corporation, to help start a children's hospital in Tacoma. He specifically requested that if his money were used for this purpose, he would like it named after his mother, Mary Bridge.
1952 The Lutheran Home and Welfare Society assumes management of Puyallup General Hospital at the request of the doctors who owned that facility. The hospital in downtown Puyallup, near Meridian Street and Fourth Avenue Northwest, is renamed Good Samaritan Hospital and has 42 beds.
1952 The Lutheran Home and Welfare Society also completes construction in Puyallup of a new facility for Lutheran Home for the Aged, which is renamed the Lutheran Minor Hospital for the Chronic Diseases of the Aging. The three-story, 76-bed facility is on 14th Avenue Southeast.
1954 Good Samaritan Hospital begins offering physical rehabilitation programs, the first privately operated rehab center in the state, which will establish the hospital's reputation as one of the finest rehab providers in the Pacific Northwest.
1954 Construction begins on Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma. The cornerstone is laid by TV host Ed Sullivan.
1955 Mary Bridge Children's Hospital opens March 27 in Tacoma. The hospital is funded by the Dr. Albert W. Bridge estate, the Tacoma Orthopedic Association and the William R. Rust trust.
1955 Washington Minor Hospital is renamed Medical Arts Hospital, and moves up to the sixth floor of the Medical Arts Building in Tacoma.
1957 Good Samaritan Hospital is directed by health and fire authorities to acquire a more adequate building for its expanding programs. The hospital's board of governors decides to consolidate Good Samaritan with Lutheran Minor Hospital for the Chronic Diseases of the Aging in Puyallup, and to greatly improve the Lutheran building.
1958 The first open-heart surgery at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital is performed by Dr. Thomas Murphy.
1960 Tacoma General Hospital's laundry building is destroyed in a fire Nov. 21.
1966 Medical Arts Hospital moves to new location and becomes Allenmore Hospital and Medical Center, near South 19th Street and Union Avenue in Tacoma.
1966 Good Samaritan Hospital launches its children's therapy program called the Children's Therapy Unit, which becomes nationally known.
1972 Good Samaritan Hospital creates a home-health agency, one of the first in Washington; establishes the state's first hospital-based mental health center; completes a rooftop landing pad for helicopters.
1973 Tacoma General Hospital adds diagnostic ultrasound department.
1974 New name: Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center, to include more diverse services. The Health Center also launches a $3.5 million expansion drive.
1976 Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center's new Speech and Hearing building opens across the street from the main hospital.
1976 Tacoma General Hospital's 100,000th baby, Karen Kristine Miller, is born.
1976 Good Samaritan Hospital establishes an adult day-health center.
1977 Construction of new six-story Tacoma General Hospital Patient Care Pavilion.
1978 Allenmore Hospital is acquired by Humana.
1980 As of Jan. 1, Tacoma General Hospital, Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center, and Doctor's Hospital join forces as Consolidated Hospitals.
1980 Tacoma General School of Nursing, which started in 1895, closes.
1980 Tacoma General Hospital starts Cardiac Rehabilitation programs.
1980 Tacoma General Hospital initiates computerized hospital records.
1982 Good Samaritan Hospital's west addition is completed and houses a new rehab center and obstetric services.
1982 In May, Allenmore Hospital's name is changed to Humana Tacoma Hospital, reflecting the acquisition of 1978. View source
1983 Consolidated Hospitals becomes MultiCare Medical Center.
1984 The 68-bed Doctors Hospital becomes a 25-bed short-stay surgery center.
1984 Mary Bridge Children's Hospital initiates the critical care transport team program. The Mary Bridge Emergency Department moves from Division and L streets to South Fourth and J streets.
1984 K Wing opens at Tacoma General Hospital.
1986 Good Samaritan Hospital's Emergency Department is expanded.
1986 Associated Health Services and Hospice of Tacoma join MultiCare Medical Center.
1987 Mary Bridge Children's Hospital expands inpatient services into the new wing at Tacoma General Hospital on K Street (now Martin Luther King, Jr. Way). The Emergency Department treats nearly 20,000 children, the highest volume pediatric Emergency Department in Washington.
1988 Doctors Hospital closes.
1989 MultiCare Medical Center acquires Humana Tacoma Hospital and restores the name to Allenmore Community Hospital.
1989 MultiCare Medical Center's name becomes MultiCare Health System.
1990 MultiCare opens the health system's first satellite clinic – Gig Harbor Urgent Care Center – creating an essential link between Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center and pediatric care in the local community.
1991 Plans under way to renovate the seventh floor at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center to provide additional medical/surgical beds and relocate the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
1992 Good Samaritan Hospital opens its South Hill Campus to make select services more convenient to the growing community.
1993 MultiCare outpatient medical centers, urgent care clinics and physician offices open in Covington, Kent, Auburn and Eatonville.
1994 Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center becomes the only Emergency Department in Western Washington designated for trauma care of children.
1996 A helistop was added to receive critically ill and injured children from all over Western Washington. Its addition was designed to transport these children to Mary Bridge's Level II pediatric trauma center quicker to optimize their chances for better outcomes.
1997-1998 Mary Bridge satellite clinics open in Silverdale, Olympia and Covington.
2000 Level II Tacoma Trauma Center opens (joint venture of Tacoma General Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital).
2000 Good Samaritan Hospital opens the Dr. Donald and Beret Mott Children's Center, a stunning facility for its acclaimed Children's Therapy Unit programs; the new Cardiac catheterization laboratory expands the hospital's medical services; the Good Samaritan Foundation is established to lead fundraising initiatives for the private, not-for-profit hospital.
2001 Good Samaritan Hospital opens its new Rehabilitation Center and state-of-the-art Family Birth Center; expands the Emergency Department; becomes the first Pierce County hospital to offer positron emission tomography (PET), an advanced diagnostic tool.
2001 A $15 million campaign announced to build a new outpatient center and start a charity care endowment fund. The Campaign for Mary Bridge is a huge success.
2003 The Campaign for Mary Bridge achieves its $15 million goal and groundbreaking on the new Mary Bridge Children's Health Center occurs in June.
2004 Tacoma General adds four new floors to L Wing.
2005 The new Mary Bridge Children's Health Center opens in celebration of Mary Bridge's 50th Anniversary.
2005 The Dr. Richard C. Ostenson Cancer Center opens at Good Samaritan Hospital to provide residents of East Pierce County with excellent, comprehensive care close to home.
2006 Good Samaritan Hospital completes an affiliation with MultiCare Health System.
2008 MultiCare launches Electronic Health Record system at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center.
2008 Mary Bridge Children's Hospital & Health Center opens new pediatric care unit at Good Samaritan Hospital.
2008 Tacoma General Hospital opens new Tacoma General Heart Hospital in L Wing.
2010 New Tacoma General and Mary Bridge Emergency Departments and MultiCare Regional Cancer Center open in Milgard Pavilion.
2011 The 357,000-square-foot Dally Tower opens at Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup. The tower is built on the existing Good Samaritan Hospital campus, but the new street address is 401 15th Ave S.E., Puyallup. Good Samaritan aims to be the trusted regional medical center of choice for every person in East Pierce County.
2012 Opened freestanding Emergency Department at MultiCare Covington Medical Center.
2012 MultiCare purchased Auburn Regional Medical Center from Universal Health Services. The newly named MultiCare Auburn Medical Center became the fifth hospital in the health system.
2013 Two new inpatient pediatric floors open at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital. The new Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and Medical Surgical Unit atop the Milgard Pavilion are part of an expansion project for women and children.
2014 The seven-story Rainier Pavilion Expansion opens. The 115,929-square-foot building, part of MultiCare Tacoma General Hospital, is home to 100 private rooms for patients in the Labor & Delivery Unit, the Mother & Baby Unit, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and two adult inpatient floors.
2014 MultiCare announces the formation of its Accountable Care Organization, MultiCare Connected Care LLC.
2015 MultiCare begins to offer online doctor visits and launches MultiCare eCare, a new online diagnosis tool developed by Zipnosis.
2015 Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital turns 60.
2015 MultiCare launches the Community Partnership Fund to provide financial support to select not-for-profit organizations in Pierce, King, Thurston and Kitsap counties.
2016 Two new Behavioral Health inpatient units open: a 20-bed adult unit at Auburn Medical Center and a 27-bed adolescent unit at Tacoma General.
2016 MultiCare opens a new line of retail urgent care clinics, MultiCare Indigo Urgent Care. Starting with Tacoma, seven clinics open across Pierce, King, Snohomish and Thurston counties.
2016 Immediate Clinic’s 14 locations in the Puget Sound area become part of MultiCare’s network of urgent care clinics. MultiCare is now the largest provider of urgent care services in the state.
2016 MultiCare and Cardiac Study Center come together to form Pulse Heart Institute.
2016 The MultiCare Center for Weight Loss & Wellness, offering a medical weight loss program as well as bariatric surgery, opens in Tacoma.
2017 Rockwood Health System in Spokane is acquired by MultiCare, making MultiCare the largest, locally owned, health system in the state of Washington.
2017 MultiCare and Navos, one of the largest non-profit community mental health providers in Washington State, affiliate, creating the largest behavioral health provider in the state of Washington.
2018 Expanded MultiCare Covington Medical Center, adding a four-story, 58-bed hospital.
2018 Woodcreek Healthcare and ABC Pediatrics join Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital & Health Network.
2018 MultiCare extends its Community Partnership Fund into the Inland Northwest.
2018 MultiCare and Physicians of Southwest Washington announce their partnership.
2018 MultiCare and Greater Lakes Mental Healthcare announce their affiliation, further expanding MultiCare's growing Behavioral Health Network.
2018 MultiCare Good Samaritan Hospital opens two new floors in the Dally Tower.
2018 Indigo Urgent Care expands to the Inland Northwest region.
2018 MultiCare rolls out its secure electronic health record, MultiCare Connect, to all our Inland Northwest locations, including Rockwood Clinic, Deaconess Hospital and Valley Hospital.
2018 Spokane Internal Medicine joins MultiCare Rockwood Clinic
2018 MultiCare partners with DispatchHealth to bring on-demand, at home care to the region.
2019 MultiCare opens a new, 36,000-square-foot comprehensive family health clinic in Kent to replace its current facility on State Avenue.
2019 MultiCare Valley Hospital turns 50.
2019 MultiCare Health Clinic at Oakland High School opens in partnership with Tacoma Public Schools and
Communities in Schools, the first of its kind in Tacoma.
2019 Wellfound Behavioral Health Hospital, a joint venture between CHI Franciscan and MultiCare, opens, increasing access to much-needed behavioral health services for western Washington communities.
2019 MultiCare opens two new neighborhood emergency rooms, in Parkland and Bonney Lake, as part of the system’s ongoing effort to improve access to health care in the South Sound.
2019 MultiCare Allenmore Hospital’s emergency department expansion opens, adding 14,600 square feet to the facility and enabling Allenmore to care for up to 10,000 additional patients each year.
2020 MultiCare announces plans to build a new standalone hospital for Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma.
2020 MultiCare's third neighborhood emergency room, MultiCare South Hill Emergency, opens in Puyallup.
2020 MultiCare’s Pulse Heart Institute expands its services in the Inland Northwest (INW) with the addition of physicians and staff from Kootenai’s Heart Clinics Northwest.