MultiCare dietitian offers tips to cope with bacon shortage
The news has shocked and horrified breakfast-lovers around the world. An international bacon shortage is looming – and Britain’s National Pig Association says there may not be anything we can do about it.
Pig herds around the world are declining at a significant rate, says the association, meaning consumers can expect to find less bacon for more money as early as next year.
MultiCare Health System understands the stress a lack of bacon can add to a hungry person’s morning, and will be here for the community during this difficult, pork-deficient time.
To start, MultiCare Wellness Dietitian Chelsey Lindahl says news of the supposed bacon shortage makes this the perfect time to consider shaking up your breakfast routine with the following fresh breakfast options.
· For hearty breakfast dishes, add savory vegetables such as mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, or zucchini. Vegetables provide vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Strive for three or more cups of vegetables per day for optimal health.
· Try veggie sausage as a breakfast meat alternative. These low-cost, low-fat options are a delicious way to spice up any breakfast.
· Think outside the conventional box and try new ideas, like breakfast burritos with whole grain tortillas, vegetable hash, frittatas, breakfast casseroles and more.
· Jazz up boring (but incredibly heart-healthy!) oatmeal by adding fun toppings like fresh or frozen berries, nuts or seeds, low-fat Greek yogurt, nut butters, or granola.
· Consider turkey bacon or chicken sausage. Both will add loads of flavor, but with less saturated fat than traditional pork bacon. Your heart will thank you! Note: when shopping for turkey bacon, be sure to look for nitrate-free brands, as nitrates can release dangerous carcinogens when heated.
About The Author
More stories by this author